Sunday, May 20, 2012

Me and Survival

I have never thought much about myself being put in a life or death situation until being recently asked the question, "To what extint would you go to guarentee your survival?"  Having to think for a little while, I began to answer this seemingly simple question.

Ever since I was little I was told what to do if a stranger was trying to kidnap me.  My mom and dad always told me scream as loud as I could "You're not my mom (or dad)." To kick, to thrash, to throw a fit loud and wild enough to make a scene.  It was my parents job then to protect me.  Now that I am older I must protect myself. If I were to get grabbed I would kick, scream, bite, hit, and practically do anything to get free.  However, if I was not able to free myself I would then turn to God and pray with all my heart that He would protect and comfort me.

If put in the situation of drowing or burning in a fire, so many thoughts come to mind. When drowing, my biggest fear, I know I would be anything but calm and collected. I would try to grab anything or anyone to help pull me up. Trapped inside a burning building is another one of my biggest fears. If all exits were blocked and there was no way out except through a window thirty feet up in the air, I would jump. I would take the risk of breaking every bone in my body to survive over buring alive without even a second thought.

After thinking about my own survival, I then begin to think about if I ever had to save my family or friends. Would I put my own life at risk to save theirs?  What if I failed and we both died? So many questions came to mind.  Even though the thought scares me, I believe if the ones I loved were in a life or death situation that I would try to do something to save them.  Even if I died along with them I fully believe that it is worth it to at least try.

No comments:

Post a Comment